Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Olympic Swimming Bento!


Bento of the Week

This bento is my first entry for the Bento Blog Network's Bento of the week. (edit: voting is up! vote here) I chose swimming, like others did... I originally chose Equestrian Dressage, but I didn't have a horse cutter and my attempt at making a cheese horse fizzled REALLY quickly.

Olympic rings made out of cherry tomato... with red and white food picks (Go Canada!).
Mixed veggies and salmon salad sit in containers above some tomato Olympic Rings with a broccoli background. below that, two cheese swimmers go for the gold in a pool of blue rice!

The swimmers have nori swim caps and mouths, and carrot swim goggles. Their divider is made out of fat-free deli ham. I've forgotten what sort of cheese the swimmers are made out of, unfortunately... The deli cheese I bought no longer has a tag on it.

To make the salmon salad, I wrapped some frozen salmon in foil and baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. I then took it out of the oven, removed the foil and flaked the salmon meat while removing (and discarding) the bones and the skin. I separated out the 2 oz I was going to use for my bento, added 1 tablespoon of Safeway brand "whipped dressing" (I buy it because it's cheap and I had it on hand, but you can use whatever you like), 1 chopped green onion, and salt and pepper to taste. Very simple, very tasty.

Calories:

Salmon salad, 2 oz: 130
Mixed veggies: 22
Cherry tomato x5: 20
Broccoli, 2/3 cup: 20
Sticky rice, 3/4 cup: 177
Mystery cheese: 60?

Total: 429

A little over my goal, but I'm not going to sweat 29 calories. ^_^


6 comments:

  1. Cute bento! I know that calorie counts take a long time but I like that you have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've been going back and forth on the decision to stop doing them... I think I'll keep them for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the swimmers with the caps and big great smile! They sure look like they are having a good time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those swimmers look great!

    ReplyDelete